Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mystic River

I read somewhere that the heir to Marlon Brando's acting throne was Robert De Niro. That made me wonder who would take his place when the time comes. The answer was clear after seeing Mystic River: Sean Penn.

In 1975, three boys, Sean Devine, Jimmy Markum and Dave Boyle, are playing on a sidewalk in Boston when Dave is taken by two men and becomes a victim of sexual abuse. He manages to escape the abuse, but not the memories which continue to haunt him as an adult.
Years later, Sean (Kevin Bacon) is a police officer, Jimmy (Penn) is an ex-convict who runs a convenience store, and Dave (Tim Robbins) is a blue-collar worker trying to protect his son from what he endured. The three come together when Jimmy's daughter Katie (Emmy Rossum) is found murdered.

Boy, I can tell you one thing and one thing only about Mystic River: it was damn good. And I mean it. Eastwood's direction was dead on, Penn and Robbins' performances were stellar, and the movie probably would've won Best Picture had it not been for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
My Rating: ****1/2

2 comments:

  1. Great film indeed and I don't even like Eastwood. But I think it's his best. I'm wondering though if DDL wouldn't be the next best one, but Penn is probably #2 :) PS. If you think he's good here, you should see Dead Man Walking. Flawless performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen it yet but after reading a very good positive review I can't stop myself from watching this movie. Hope I will arrange a copy of this movie online and my expectation will come out true.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.