Tuesday, March 16, 2010

An Education

It's always interesting to see a rising actor's career. Now and then, the actor will either become an Oscar winner or the biggest name in Hollywood. Case in point, I'm reviewing the movie that got Carey Mulligan attention, An Education.

Jenny Miller (Mulligan) has dreams of attending Oxford and going to Paris. But her parents Majorie (Cara Seymour) and Jack (Alfred Molina) are rather restrictive when it comes to her own free time. Enter David Goldman (Peter Sarsgaard), an older man who gives Jenny a lift home. He charms Jenny's parents into giving her less restrictive rules, and David and Jenny form a relationship.

I really liked Mulligan's work, leaving me hoping this won't be the last we see of her. Molina managed to steal every scene he's in, which makes me wonder why he wasn't recognized more. The movie overall was solid.

My Rating: ****

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love a Nick Hornby screenplay!

    This was one of my very favorite movies of the year (eclipsed only by THE HURT LOCKER), and I'm with you in loving it - if for no other reason - for introducing me to the charming Miss Mulligan.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.