Monday, August 16, 2010

Zodiac

I've stated before I'm interested in criminology. The type of crimes I'm the most interested in are the unsolved ones.

Robert Graysmith (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a cartoonist who works for the San Francisco Chronicle. His quirky ways irritate Paul Avery (Robert Downey, Jr.), a reporter whose drinking gets in the way of doing his job. The two become friends thanks to a shared interest: the Zodiac killer. Graysmith steadily becomes obsessed with the case, as Avery's life spirals into drunken oblivion. Graysmith's amateur sleuthing puts him onto the path of David Toschi (Mark Ruffalo), a police inspector who has thus far failed to catch his man. Graysmith's job, wife and children all become unimportant next to the one thing that really matters: catching the Zodiac.

Although I very much admired Se7en, I think David Fincher tried too hard to make Zodiac like it. But I still like it. Gyllenhaal, Downey and Ruffalo give good performances. I probably would've liked it more if it was just a little shorter. If you're interested in criminology like I am, I recommend Zodiac to you.

My Rating: ****1/2

2 comments:

  1. Some of my local movie geek friends manage to swing the conversation over to ZODIAC wickedly often - it's like they think it's CITIZEN KANE or somethin'.

    This movie was clobbered when it was released, so I'm glad to hear you dug it. Might I suggest that sometime down the road you give it another look as it really gets better with multiple viewings.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.