Tuesday, September 28, 2010

8 1/2

Although I've only seen one of his movies, I know that Federico Fellini is one eccentric film director. He definitely has an unique method of directing. Anyway, back to the review.

When famed Italian director Guido Anselmi (Marcello Mastroianni) can't focus on his latest project, he retreats to a spa and his imagination. Even there he is unable to escape the crushing pressures that surround him as he is bombarded by actors, a producer and a difficult writer. As he floats in and out of the conscious world, his real-life problems manifest themselves in his dreams and his fantasies invade his real life.

The visual aspect of 8 1/2 is stunning. It's one of those movies you really need to pay attention to otherwise you might lose focus. Mastroianni gives an impressive performance as the troubled Guido. This has to be Fellini's best work. Not one to miss.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. I know everybody loved '8 1/2,' but my personal favorite Fellini is 'La Dolce Vita'. It's more eccentric and seems to fit Fellini's style more appropriately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own 8 1/2 and like it quite a bit but my fave of his is Amarcord.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.