Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Iceman Cometh

Common themes in works by Eugene O'Neill are melancholia, alcoholism and death. Cheerful guy, isn't he?

The patrons of Harry Hope's bar anticipate the annual arrival of Hickey. But this year, Hickey tries to liven up the pipe-dreaming drunks which causes tensions to flare.

Damn, O'Neill, you're really a pessimistic person, aren't you? My point is also proven in Long Day's Journey into Night. I found the scenes between Parritt and Larry contain some of the most emotional dialogue I've read. Hickey teeters on the line of insulting and friendly. His statements are derogatory, but he saves his dignity and pride with his charming comments. This is the best O'Neill play I've read.

My Rating: ****1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.