Saturday, November 13, 2010

Black Hawk Down

Ridley Scott is one helluva director. Action, sci-fi, war, crime...you name it, he has directed it.

On October 3, 1993, nearly 100 US Army Rangers, commanded by Capt. Mike Steele (Jason Isaacs), were dropped by helicopter deep into the capital city of Mogadishu to capture the two top lieutenants of a Somali warlord. This lead to a large and drawn-out firefight between the Rangers and hundreds of Somali gunmen, leading to the destruction of two US Black Hawk helicopters.

Geez, that was intense. But still, Black Hawk Down is an interesting character study. The intensity of the violence is a little much for me (I'm a wimp, so sue me). Scott still has me interested in his other work (I've only seen Matchstick Men). Black Hawk Down wasn't as notable as other entries from 2001 (A Beautiful Mind, Mulholland Drive, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, etc.), but it's as good as the others.

My Rating: ****1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.