Thursday, December 23, 2010

His Girl Friday

I've been trying to catch up on the classics. Most of them were released in the 50s, 60s and 70s, only a scarce number from the 30s and 40s.

All Hildy Johnson (Rosalind Russell) wants is to get married to Bruce Baldwin (Ralph Bellamy). But her ex-husband Walter Burns (Cary Grant), as well as a story about a prisoner awaiting execution, prevents her from doing that.

It's so annoying. Ever since I saw Some Like It Hot last year, I cannot take Cary Grant seriously anymore (even if most of the roles I've seen by him are comedic). Almost every time Grant speaks, my mind immediately goes to Tony Curtis' impression of Grant. Is it driving me crazy? You bet it is.

His Girl Friday has to be one of the smarter comedies I've seen. Grant and Russell have really great chemistry together. The dialogue between them and the other characters absolutely sizzles. Do I suggest that everyone should see His Girl Friday? Absolutely.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. It is great romantic film with good comedy. The film was released in 1940. I was become fan of Pat Flaherty from this film..He did well performance and proved himself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.