Thursday, February 24, 2011

Roman Holiday

Audrey Hepburn. A figure of eternal beauty, grace and elegance. She was also a very talented actress, one of my favorites I may add.

In Roman Holiday, she plays Princess Ann. She wants to be among the people of Rome, a city she's visiting on an European tour. But the royal family won't let her. In response, she sneaks out. A sedative was given earlier, making her fall asleep on a bench and be found by journalist Joe Bradley (Gregory Peck).

A short synopsis like that sounds like a cliche for most romance movies. but writer Dalton Trumbo (who was blacklisted at the time) makes it new and fresh.

The film was shot on location by the urging of director William Wyler. Because of that, the budget was reduced considerably. Had it not been for this decision, Roman Holiday would've been shot in Technicolor (which, in my opinion, would've ruined the romantic feel) and a more recognizable name would've been the leading lady.

Hepburn and Peck are by far one of the best on-screen romances. Because of their beautiful chemistry together, I practically fell in love with the movie just as they fall in love with each other. Did Hepburn deserve her Oscar? Rightfully so.She captures the right balance of elegance and talent as Ann.

Having said all of that, I really wished I hadn't made that list of some of my top movies. It's safe to say I have a new favorite now.

My Rating: *****

3 comments:

  1. I love this movie, too. Hepburn and Peck are two of my favorites and you're right, they have outstanding chemistry with one another.

    Such a bold ending, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the final scene...I wish more romantic comedies/dramas could bring that kind of elegance and humanity to their films.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie, too. Audrey Hepburn is wonderful in it, as are all the other actor. This is a fine, interesting article. I enjoyed reading it, and I look forward to reading more of your articles in the future.

    By the way, I would like to invite you to join my blogathon, "The Great Breening Blogathon:" https://pureentertainmentpreservationsociety.wordpress.com/2017/09/07/extra-the-great-breening-blogathon/. It is celebrating the life and work of Joseph Breen, the enforcer of the Motion Picture Production Code between 1934 and 1954. As we honor his birthday, which is on October 14, we will be discussing and analyzing the Code era, breening films from other eras, and writing about our own ideas for classic movies. One doesn't have to agree with the Code and Mr. Breen to enjoy that! I hope you will do me the honor of joining. We could really use your talent!

    Yours Hopefully,

    Tiffany Brannan

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.