Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Star Trek

I'll admit it: sometimes I'm a geek. (It doesn't restrict to film in general.) Okay, not that much of a geek, but I am one.

Now in regards to the immensely popular franchise Gene Roddenberry created so many years ago, I'm only faintly familiar with it. (The only episode I saw was "The Trouble with Tribbles".) So I figured, what the hell, I'll watch J.J. Abrams' film anyway.

It turned out to be better than I thought it would be. (And this is coming from someone who's not much for sci-fi.) It's even more interesting considering the bad rap Abrams sometimes gets. (Lens flares, anyone?) That didn't really stop me from liking it however.

The cast is great. Chris Pine captures the cockiness of Han Solo yet stays true to William Shatner's original portrayal of Capt. Kirk. Zachary Quinto shows that Spock has a vulnerable heart beating under that cold shell of a body. The supporting cast of Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, John Cho and Anton Yelchin provide amusing moments throughout. Eric Bana excellently displays the ruthlessness of his villain. But my favorite was Simon Pegg because you have to love his British silliness. (Added bonuses: Leonard Nimoy cameo, Chris Hemsworth as Kirk's father, Winona Ryder as Spock's mother.)

Star Trek is perhaps one of the best sci-fi films of the last ten years. Nothing feels overwhelming, not even those infamous lens flares of Abrams'. Basically, I just loved it. Bring on the sequel!

My Rating: *****

6 comments:

  1. Yayy!! :D Speaking as a Trek fan and an intentional geek (*cough* seen and own all of original series *cough*) I thought Abrams' Trek was heaps of fun! Karl Urban was possibly my favourite as Dr. McCoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you said this really was one of the best sci-fi movies of the past decade, although to be fair the competition is pretty weak for viewers with a brain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this film. It is so enjoyable and entertaining, and it revamps this series for newcomers like me. And it is endlessly rewatchable. The sequel is honestly my most anticipated film of 2013 till now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way you do, it was so much better than I expected it to be. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't the biggest fan of the original Star Trek TV series, but I loved this film so much. Like you said, the cast is great, and Abrams' lens flares worked perfectly with this film. Can't wait for the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree; even(/especially?) for those of us who weren't fans of the original series, this movie is as close to perfect as it could be. I think Chris Pine was an excellent choice, and it was full of good humor without being silly (well, with the exception of Simon Pegg at times).

    Sidenote: Did anyone else realize Kirk's dad was Chris Hemsworth?! I never would have recognized him!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.