Thursday, October 4, 2012

Down by Law

Jim Jarmusch is an interesting director. He blends style and story almost effortlessly. That said, I'm still not entirely won over by his manner of directing. (I did like Broken Flowers and Dead Man, but I didn't love them.)

Did my opinion change when I saw Down by Law? Well, sort of. I did like the story of the film and the way it was shot by Robby Muller. But I wasn't entirely won over by the way Jarmusch told the story. (Maybe one more film of his might make me change my ways.)

Still, the story is nice. As mentioned above, Muller's cinematography is quite lovely. The fact it's shot in black and white is also nice because it's not taking away from the story. (Hell, I just like post-1965 films shot in black and white.)

The stars are pretty good too. The three principal names are John Lurie (who also contributed to the music), Tom Waits (just look at that 80s hair!) and Roberto Benigni (long before he did Life is Beautiful). Of them, I liked Benigni as a form of comic relief.

Down by Law is good, but I wasn't entirely won over by it. Maybe on a re-watch I'll like it more but for now, I'm sticking with this verdict. (I'm picky, so sue me.)

My Rating: ****

1 comment:

  1. For many years Jim Jarmusch was probably the most original director working in the United States.
    All of his films are the same, which isn't meant as an insult,since they are completely unlike anybody else's.
    Down by Law exists according to its own rules, so just sit back and enjoy it.
    It's an elegant and clever film, made in a classic style, unknown to the pop-promo directors that populate Hollywood nowadays.
    Re-watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.