Wednesday, February 27, 2013

We Need to Talk About Kevin

It doesn't take long after being introduced to her in Lynne Ramsay's We Need to Talk About Kevin that the viewer realizes Eva Khatchadourian (Tilda Swinton) is trying to regain at least some composure in her life. Try as she might, it won't happen.

Through various flashbacks, we see what got her in this desperate situation. The main contribution to her distress is her son Kevin. Even since day one, he's made Eva's life hell. Her husband Franklin (John C. Reilly) shrugs it off as "boys will be boys" behavior. Oh, how wrong he was.

Swinton's performance here was ranked as one of the most egregious Oscar snubs of the last five years. (Well, her and Michael Fassbender in Shame.) And for good reason too. She takes all of the verbal (and in one instance physical) abuse with complete dignity yet she looks as though she's on the verge of mental collapse. This performance also convinced me that I need to see more of Swinton's work.

I also must talk about Erza Miller, who plays the teenage terror that is Kevin. There's that little glint in his eyes that just screams somethings' amiss in his mind. (That stare of his is horrifying.) I can tell Miller's going to be around for a while.

We Need to Talk About Kevin is a really fascinating film. (It also convinced me to never have kids.) Ramsay gives a portrait of dissolving family dynamics and boy, is it good. Also, this would make for an interesting double feature with Rosemary's Baby.

My Rating: *****

9 comments:

  1. I loved this movie and loved the book too. Tilda Swinton was indeed snubbed. I'd argue Ezra Miller's case too, because he was pretty terrifying. I make sure my son gets plenty of hugs and kisses after seeing/reading this. What a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this movie last year, Ezra Miller appeared for a post-show Q&A session. Not gonna lie: It was unsettling to see him in person after what we'd just seen on screen, hehe. But yeah, between this and PERKS, the dude is a phenomenon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really have to see this, not only for Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller - there's so much praise for this movie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find Swinton's work here to be definitely best in the movie, Miller didn't entirely convince me. The film was fantastic, I felt strong Lynch vibe while watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, this film is absolute confirmation that Lynne Ramsay is one of the best filmmakers working today. That scene of Tilda Swinton crowd-surfing in that tomato festival is definitely the work of an artist. The whole film is just eerie to watch. I worship the altar of Ramsay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I keep saying I'm glad this book and movie wasn't released when I was in my early 20s because it might've put me off having kids. :-)

    I thought this was an outstanding movie, too, although probably not one I'll want to revisit. I couldn't agree more about Swinton's amazing performance. Great review, Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do find aspects of the film somewhat frustrating from deliberately slight perspective we're given to the occasional over-reliance on horror motifs. I prefer Ramsay's screenplay to her direction which sometimes - but barely - feels too much, but it's an impressive film either way. Swinton is great and Miller goes with her tit for tat in all their scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another film where Swinton's performance is overlooked is Julia. The film is too long but Swinton is outstanding in it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Completely agree with this review. Swinton is remarkable, Miller is ferocious, and yes, if there was ever a film that subtly preached the wonders of birth control, this is it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.