Friday, May 3, 2013

I Am Love

Even when one lives in a life of luxury, that life can become dull. (No, seriously. It is possible...I think.) After being around the likes of designer clothing and gourmet food, you could start to long for something much simpler.

Just imagine how Emma (Tilda Swinton) feels in Luca Guadagnino's I Am Love. An immigrant from Russia, Emma has gotten acquainted with the lavish Milan lifestyle through her marriage. But it didn't come without a few sacrifices. (Emma isn't even her real name; she doesn't remember her birth name.)

Swinton is quickly becoming an eclectic actress in my eyes. As Emma, she shows a level of uncertainly in what she desires. She wants her family to be happy yet she's not entirely sure of what she wants. (This is before she meets Antonio (Edoardo Gabbriellini), mind you.)

I Am Love is certainly one of the more lavish Italian films I've encountered. (This is coming from someone who has Luchino Visconti among their favorites.) This can be mainly attributed to Yorick Le Saux's lush cinematography and John Adams' even lusher score. It's just the small details I admire.

Swinton's performance, Le Saux's cinematography and Adams' score aside, there's not much else about I Am Love to write home about. There's certainly a possibility that a re-watch will be in my future but for now, I'm calling it for what it is: a simple but very lush film.

My Rating: ****1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.